Trapped in the Elevator!




Last night I was yapping with my dad on the phone and heading to grab ice cream with my friend James (our never ending quest to make Mondays less gloomy). I live on the 5th floor of my building, and I have to admit that while the elevator has been fairly consistent it has had its burbles now and then. To make things more complicated, the freight elevator I normally use (closer to my door) was being painted so it was out of commission. So, I step into the elevator, press the first floor button, and begin my descent. 5-4-3-2-GUH GUH. I quickly got off the phone with my dad, took a deep breath, and did what any rational human would do: I pressed all the buttons (none of which lit up) and jumped around a bit (maybe there was a jam or the doors would open or something). When these futile attempts didn't work I called 911 and gave them the story. FDNY on their way. I also used the emergency phone in the elevator with minimal response on the other end....no sense of urgency whatsoever.

So, over the next 60 minutes I had to entertain myself with text messages, reading a brochure from my visit to The Cloisters this past weekend, and luckily I had my digital camera. I am intrinsically a very calm person, so I didn't freak out or begin to contemplate life or anything; Just chilled out best I could and let the professional saviors do their thing. Finally, at minute 59 the doors were pried open by the hottest bunch of fire fighters I have ever seen. Men in uniform were never really my thing...I am much more into guys wearing suits or really nice jeans....but these dudes were hot. First thing they said when they saw me in the vator was, "Aw man, she's cute." Then when I proceeded to hoist myself out of the 2.5' space (like getting out of a swimming pool) at the top of the elevator they go, "and she's athletic too!". Needless to say, the elevator got stuck between floor 1 and 2, outside my apartment were 1 fire engine, 1 ambulance, and 1 police car all with lights flashing, and a hallway full of hot, young firemen...I think they send the rookies to rescue damsels in distress. I would say I had a pretty eventful Monday evening. After I thanked my guys I went down the street to meet my friend and ate almost a pint of Hagen Daaz. I deserved it! I have said it before, and I will say it again....I just can't make this stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...